Foxit, a maker of document and imaging software, has a free lightweight PDF Reader app for Windows, Mac, and Linux as well as mobile apps for iPhones, iPads, and Android devices. A list of free and paid Foxit products can be found at www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads.
Microsoft has announced the upcoming release of its new command line tool application Windows Terminal. This application for PowerShell and WSL users is currently available for download at GitHub and is also available the Microsoft Store.
More information about Windows Terminal can be found at devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-terminal-build-2019-faq.
Microsoft announced the release of SQL Server 2019 Community Technology Preview (CTP) 2.0 on September 24th 2018 at its Ignite event. SQL Server 2019 runs on Windows, Linux, and containers and has Apache Spark and Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) to help create big data analytics.
Microsoft announced the September 2018 release of Azure Data Studio, formerly known as SQL Operations Studio (preview version). Azure Data Studio is a new open source desktop environment for SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, and Azure SQL Data Warehouse data that runs on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
7-Zip is a free open source software that can be used to compress or uncompress files in many commonly used file formats. The default compressed file format is 7z but other common formats such as ZIP, TAR, etc. can be used. 7-Zip download files are currently available for Windows and Linux. This FAQ lists more information on how to use 7-Zip.
PostgreSQL is a free open source object-relational database system that is widely used. It is available as a free download for Windows, MacOS, Linux and other operating systems.
More information is available at:
- SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Azure Data Studio (formerly SQL Operations Studio)
- SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
- Data Migration Assistant (DMA)
- SQL Server documentation at GitHub
- Database Engine Tuning Advisor and dta utility – analyzes a workload or SQL script and recommends data server structures to improve performance
- mssql-cli – a command-line tool for querying SQL Server on Windows, macOS, or Linux
- SqlCmd utility and Microsoft Command Line Utilities
- Database Console Commands (DBCC)
- SQL Server Diagnostic Connection for Database Administrators (DAC)
- mssql-scripter – multi-platform command line tools for SQL Server scripting
- Trace Flags
- TableDiff utility – a row by row data comparison of two tables
- Diagnostic Connection or Dedicated Administrator Connection (DAC)
- SqlLogShip – a command line tool for log shipping operations
- SqlLocalDB – a command line tool for SQL Server Express LocalDB
- SqlPackage – a command-line tool for importing and exporting databases and snapshots from SQL Server or Azure SQL databases
- mssql-conf – configure SQL Server on Linux
- RML Utilities for SQL Server – a set of tools and processes to run load tests
- Database Experimentation Assistant (DEA) – an A/B testing solution for SQL Server upgrades
- Distributed Replay – replay a workload like SQL Server Profiler but from multiple computers for SQL Server or Azure SQL databasesA list of most of these SQL tools and utilities can be found at the SQL tools overview and command prompt utilities pages.
Kodi is a free open source media player and entertainment center for multiple platforms, including Android, Linux, MacOS X, iOS, Windows, and Xbox One. It is also available as a downloadable app from Google Play and Microsoft Store.
Kodi was originally known as Xbox Media Center (XBMC) and developed by the XBMC Foundation, a non-profit technology consortium. It plays audio, video, and image files, and third-party plugins are available to add additional features. The Kodi Wiki page lists more details about configurations and options for this app.
Google Chrome Remote Desktop is an app that allows users to access remote computers through the Chrome browser or the Chromebook operating system using a secure connection. This app is free and runs on multiple platforms, including Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Visual Studio Code Installation on Windows, macOS, and Linux
- Visual Studio Code Documentation
- Visual Studio Code Tips and Tricks
- Visual Studio Code Extension Marketplace
- PowerShell in Visual Studio Code
- Visual Studio Roadmap
- Visual Studio Developer Community
- Visual Studio Code Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows, macOS, and Linux