Visual Studio Codespaces will be consolidating into GitHub Codespaces and will no longer be available as of February 2021. Microsoft has provided an FAQ page for this transition.
Downdetector shows outage information and status for widely used websites and services such as mobile and internet service providers, social media sites, banking and financial services, etc. This includes:
- Most recent outages
- List of all companies tracked
- Facebook, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp
- Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
- Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint
- AT&T, Comcast / Xfinity, Spectrum, CenturyLink, Frontier and Cox
- Google, Gmail, Google Cloud, and Google Hangouts
- Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox and Box
- Apple Maps, iCloud, iMessage, and iWork
- Office 365, Outlook, Sharepoint, Skype and Skype for Business
- Visual Studio, Microsoft Teams, Azure, and Exchange
- Amazon Web Services (AWS), Cloudflare, and Zoom
Visual Studio Codespaces – formerly known as Visual Studio Online – allows you to create Visual Studio solutions entirely in the cloud across multiple devices. This development environment is currently in public preview.
Microsoft will hold the worldwide Visual Studio 2019 Launch Event online on April 2nd 2019. Visual Studio extensions will also have to be updated for VS2019.
Microsoft announced the release of Visual Studio 2019 Preview version at its 2018 Connect event. This version includes Visual Studio Live Share by default as part of the installation. Visual Studio 2019 Preview may be downloaded from visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/preview/. System requirements and release notes are also available.
Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) has been renamed to Azure DevOps as of September 2018. Microsoft offers guidance on conversion from Team Foundation Server (TFS) to Azure DevOps Services. Features within VSTS have been given new Azure DevOp names as well.
User settings can be changed by logging into app.vsaex.visualstudio.com.
Visual Studio Live Share (VS Live Share or VSLS) is a development project tool to allow team collaborative editing of source code within Microsoft Visual Studio or Visual Studio Code. VSLS is currently in preview or pre-release mode as a Visual Studio Marketplace extension and may become a paid product in the future.
More information can be found here:
- VS Live Share – Documentation
- VS Live Share – Frequently Asked Questions
- Visual Studio Live Share Audio
- Using VS Live Share with Visual Studio
- Using VS Live Share with Visual Studio Code
- VS Live Share – Language and platform support
- Troubleshooting Visual Studio Live Share
- VS Live Share at GitHub.com
Extensions for the Microsoft Visual Studio suite of products can be found at marketplace.visualstudio.com. Extensions add support for languages not included in Visual Studio, aid in IDE development, or perform a specific task.
Some current popular extensions are:
- Developer Analytics Tools
- PowerShell (replaces PowerShell ISE)
- SQL Server, Azure SQL and SQL Data Warehouse (mssql)
- C# and C/C++
- Azure Marketplace Extensions
- Chrome Debugger
- Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio Code
- Go language for Visual Studio Code
- PostgreSQL for Visual Studio Code
- Visual Studio IntelliCode (productivity features for Python and Java)
- Visual Studio Live Share
- Visual Studio Pull Requests
- Visual Studio Code Remote for WSL, SSH and Docker containers
- Visual Studio Code – Coding Pack for Java – Windows and MacOS
- Java Language Support (Red Hat)
- All Microsoft Visual Studio Extensions
Extensions can be free, preview, or paid. Paid extensions are often charged per user per month. Preview extensions are eventually converted to paid extensions. Extensions are either written by Microsoft, third party vendors, or individual developers.
More information can be found at code.visualstudio.com/docs/extensions/overview.
- Visual Studio Code Installation on Windows, macOS, and Linux
- Visual Studio Code Documentation
- Visual Studio Code Tips and Tricks
- Visual Studio Code Extension Marketplace
- PowerShell in Visual Studio Code
- Visual Studio Roadmap
- Visual Studio Developer Community
- Visual Studio Code Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows, macOS, and Linux