Apple is hosting its free online Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) from June 6 to June 10. 2022. Session information and other details can be found at developer.apple.com/wwdc22/.
The newly released Microsoft Office app combines Excel, Word and PowerPoint into a single app that requires less storage space to install. New features include converting images into editable Office documents, scanning and signing PDFs, scanning QR codes, and transferring files between devices.
Apple announced the release of its new iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max, and iPad Air devices. These devices feature the new A14 Bionic chip and the smartphones include 5G service. These phones can be charged with the MagSave wireless charger, but items such as credit cards and other magnetic cards must not be placed between the phone and charger.
Foxit, a maker of document and imaging software, has a free lightweight PDF Reader app for Windows, Mac, and Linux as well as mobile apps for iPhones, iPads, and Android devices. A list of free and paid Foxit products can be found at www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads.
iOS 14 also shows if an app is using the camera or phone. A green indicator will appear if an app is using the device’s camera, and an orange indicator will appear if the microphone is in use. App settings for hardware use can be changed under Settings > Privacy. Apps running on iOS14 will also be required to obtain permission to track users starting in early 2021.
Apple has provided a list of compatible devices for iOS 14 and iPadOS.
Downdetector shows outage information and status for widely used websites and services such as mobile and internet service providers, social media sites, banking and financial services, etc. This includes:
- Most recent outages
- List of all companies tracked
- Facebook, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp
- Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat
- Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint
- AT&T, Comcast / Xfinity, Spectrum, CenturyLink, Frontier and Cox
- Google, Gmail, Google Cloud, and Google Hangouts
- Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox and Box
- Apple Maps, iCloud, iMessage, and iWork
- Office 365, Outlook, Sharepoint, Skype and Skype for Business
- Visual Studio, Microsoft Teams, Azure, and Exchange
- Amazon Web Services (AWS), Cloudflare, and Zoom