Microsoft Outlook for Mac is now free to use for Apple MacOS users. This version may be installed from the AppStore or downloaded directly. No Office 365 subscription is required, but advertisements will be visible without one.
The Apple MacOS user guide has a complete list of Mac keyboard shortcuts. The online manual also has a conversion chart of Microsoft Windows terms and their Mac equivalents.
Apple has reported that a small number of iPhone 11 models are experiencing issues with touch screen capability. A free repair is available for phones with a valid serial number that are having this problem.
Apple also has a repair program available for a small number of 13-inch MacBook Pro units with backlight display issues.
Apple is providing free repairs for users having sound issues with AirPods Pro.
Foxit, a maker of document and imaging software, has a free lightweight PDF Reader app for Windows, Mac, and Linux as well as mobile apps for iPhones, iPads, and Android devices. A list of free and paid Foxit products can be found at www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads.
Apple announced the upcoming release of several new products at its September 10th 2019 event, including:
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max with new camera features such as Night Mode
- iPad with 10.2 inch display and iPadOS
- Watch Series 5 and WatchOS 6 with built-in compass and international emergency calling, Noise app decibel detector and Calculator app
- iOS 13 with Dark Mode and Silence Unknown Callers call blocking feature
- Sign in with Apple secure app authentication for iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS using Apple ID
- Apple TV+ (Apple TV Plus) streaming video service that starts at $4.99 per month, but is free for one year if customers buy an Apple device after September 10th 2019.
Apple has a voluntary recall and free battery replacement program for certain 15-inch MacBook Pro models sold between 2015 and 2017. These units can be identified by serial number at support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall.
This recall is currently one of the programs available at Apple’s Exchange and Repair Extension Program page.
Apple made several major announcements at its Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in June 2019, including:
- The upcoming release of iOS 13 for iPhone 6s and later versions with Dark Mode and Sign in with Apple authentication
- iPadOS – a dedicated operating system for iPad
- watchOS 6
- macOS Catalina
- Mac Pro – a high end desktop computer
- SwiftUI – a development framework that can create apps across Apple platforms
Update: Apple released iOS 12.1.4 on February 7, 2019 to fix the FaceTime issue. FaceTime is now available at the Apple System Status page.
USA Today and the Washington Post have reported that some iPhone FaceTime users have been able to listen to people they are calling before the call is answered. FaceTime runs on iPhones and iPads running iOS 12.1 as well as Macs running macOS Mojave.
Apple is currently working on a fix for this security issue. FaceTime has been temporarily taken down as noted on the Apple System Status page.
Apple announced the release of several new products on October 30th 2018, including new iPad Pro and MacBook Air models with Retina display, and a new Mac Mini. These devices use a more secure Apple T2 chip, use Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C ports, and are made of environmentally-friendly recycled aluminum. They will be publicly available for retail sale on November 7th.
A new Apple Pencil will also be available at the same date. This pencil will magnetically snap to the iPad for storage and wireless charging.