Apple announced the upcoming releases of several new technologies at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in June 2020, including:
Apple announced the release of its new iPhone SE smartphone on April 24th 2020, starting at a lower price of $399. The iPhone SE is water resistant and features 4K video, Dual SIM with eSIM, wireless charging, and one Lightning connector port.
iTunes has been replaced by Apple Music, Apple TV, Apple Books, and Apple Podcasts on iOS and MacOS devices. Prior iTunes media library content can now be found in these new apps. Instructions on how to manage Apple Music and other subscriptions are available.
Apple released a statement that some iPhone 6 smartphones cannot be turned on due to a failed internal component. iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus users can see if their phone may be affected by entering the phone serial number at this link.
Apple iPhone 5 users will also have to do an iOS update or they may experience issues in several major iPhone apps starting on November 3rd 2019.
Apple announced the upcoming release of several new products at its September 10th 2019 event, including:
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max with new camera features such as Night Mode
- iPad with 10.2 inch display and iPadOS
- Watch Series 5 and WatchOS 6 with built-in compass and international emergency calling, Noise app decibel detector and Calculator app
- iOS 13 with Dark Mode and Silence Unknown Callers call blocking feature
- Sign in with Apple secure app authentication for iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS using Apple ID
- Apple TV+ (Apple TV Plus) streaming video service that starts at $4.99 per month, but is free for one year if customers buy an Apple device after September 10th 2019.
Microsoft Office apps such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint are available as free downloads for iOS , Android and Windows smartphones and tablets that have a screen size of 10.1 inches or smaller. Users can view, edit and create new Office format files with these free apps once they login with a Microsoft user account, but they must subscribe to Office 365 to unlock all app functionality. Free web brower versions of Office apps are also available for users logged into OneDrive.
Students and teachers with a valid school email address are also eligible for the free Office 365 Education version.
Apple device users can run the iWork productivity apps, which includes Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.
Office Apps for Windows 10 Mobile will no longer be supported by Microsoft as of January 12, 2021.
Apple made several major announcements at its Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in June 2019, including:
- The upcoming release of iOS 13 for iPhone 6s and later versions with Dark Mode and Sign in with Apple authentication
- iPadOS – a dedicated operating system for iPad
- watchOS 6
- macOS Catalina
- Mac Pro – a high end desktop computer
- SwiftUI – a development framework that can create apps across Apple platforms
Samsung has announced the upcoming release of its new series of Galaxy S10 smartphones, the Galaxy S10e, S10 and S10+ models. New features include Dynamic AMOLED display, improved wireless charging speeds and ultrasonic on-screen fingerprint sensor for Galaxy S10 and S10+ models.
Samsung will also release Galaxy Fold, its first smartphone with a folding screen. This smartphone has a 7.3 inch Infinity Flex Display that unfolds to form a tablet interface.
New wearable fitness devices Galaxy Watch Active and Galaxy Fit that can monitor your heart rate will also be available soon. Samsung’s Wireless PowerShare technology can charge wirelessly between smartphones and accessories.