Visual Studio Codespaces – formerly known as Visual Studio Online – allows you to create Visual Studio solutions entirely in the cloud across multiple devices. This development environment is currently in public preview.
Microsoft will hold the worldwide Visual Studio 2019 Launch Event online on April 2nd 2019. Visual Studio extensions will also have to be updated for VS2019.
Microsoft announced the release of Visual Studio 2019 Preview version at its 2018 Connect event. This version includes Visual Studio Live Share by default as part of the installation. Visual Studio 2019 Preview may be downloaded from visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/preview/. System requirements and release notes are also available.
Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) has been renamed to Azure DevOps as of September 2018. Microsoft offers guidance on conversion from Team Foundation Server (TFS) to Azure DevOps Services. Features within VSTS have been given new Azure DevOp names as well.
User settings can be changed by logging into app.vsaex.visualstudio.com.
Visual Studio Live Share (VS Live Share or VSLS) is a development project tool to allow team collaborative editing of source code within Microsoft Visual Studio or Visual Studio Code. VSLS is currently in preview or pre-release mode as a Visual Studio Marketplace extension and may become a paid product in the future.
More information can be found here:
- VS Live Share – Documentation
- VS Live Share – Frequently Asked Questions
- Visual Studio Live Share Audio
- Using VS Live Share with Visual Studio
- Using VS Live Share with Visual Studio Code
- VS Live Share – Language and platform support
- Troubleshooting Visual Studio Live Share
- VS Live Share at GitHub.com
Extensions for the Microsoft Visual Studio suite of products can be found at marketplace.visualstudio.com. Extensions add support for languages not included in Visual Studio, aid in IDE development, or perform a specific task.
Some current popular extensions are:
- Developer Analytics Tools
- SQL Server, Azure SQL and SQL Data Warehouse (mssql)
- Deploy to Azure
- PostgreSQL for Visual Studio Code
- Visual Studio IntelliCode (productivity features for Python and Java)
- Visual Studio Live Share
- Visual Studio Pull Requests
- Visual Studio Code Remote for WSL, SSH and Docker containers
- Java Language Support (Red Hat)
- All Microsoft Visual Studio Extensions
Extensions can be free, preview, or paid. Paid extensions are often charged per user per month. Preview extensions are eventually converted to paid extensions. Extensions are either written by Microsoft, third party vendors, or individual developers.
More information can be found at code.visualstudio.com/docs/extensions/overview.
- Visual Studio Code Installation on Windows, macOS, and Linux
- Visual Studio Code Documentation
- Visual Studio Code Tips and Tricks
- Visual Studio Code Extension Marketplace
- PowerShell in Visual Studio Code
- Visual Studio Roadmap
- Visual Studio Developer Community
- Visual Studio Code Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Microsoft announced the release of both Visual Studio 2017 version 15.5 and Visual Studio for Mac 7.3 on December 4th 2017. Complete release notes for Visual Studio 2017 15.5 and Visual Studio for Mac 7.3 were also made available.
Visual Studio Community is a free version designed for students, open-source and individual developers. Microsoft has created a comparison list of the differences between this version, Visual Studio Professional, and Visual Studio Enterprise.
The Visual Studio Subscriptions Portal at my.visualstudio.com allows you to manage your Visual Studio subscription, including product keys, tools, and support.
Microsoft has released a list of products that will no longer be supported in 2018, including:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
- Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5
- Microsoft Dynamics C5 2014
- Windows 10 Mobile – November 2015 release
- Microsoft Office Communicator 2007
- Windows Web Server 2008
A full list can be found at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043450/products-reaching-end-of-support-for-2018.